See you at Pre-Town Meeting at U32 tomorrow!
The EMES Renovation and Expansion project recently entered Phase III! It is hard to believe that a year ago we were thanking you for passing the bond and hoping to go out to Bid. Final plans were submitted by TruexCullins last spring, and Wright and Morrissey was awarded the bid in June, 2013.
At this point in the project we are on budget and on schedule. We owe a huge thank-you to Wright and Morrissey, TruexCullins Architects, our Clerk of the Works, and support from the EMES and WCSU Staff and Administration.
A recap of Phases I and II (June 24th, 2013 - December 22, 2013):
· Preliminary site work to improve drainage around the entire building and existing parking lot; prep work on the temporary parking spaces, and adding an additional parent drop-off loop and bus loop in the front of the building.
· Renovations to the existing Gym, which included new bleachers, a new floor, asbestos removal, new bench areas, acoustic panels, mechanical, lighting, and a PE storage area.
· The majority of Phase II was devoted to the South addition. This addition included two new classrooms, a new Music and Art room, Bathrooms, Tutoring Space, and a Language Room.
Plans for Phase III (December 2013-June 23,2014):
· The existing music room down to the K/1 exit, near the short term parking, relocated to the new wing over the December break. Construction in the new library, the pre-k classroom, and the “admin suite,” which includes guidance, health, occupational therapy, a conference room, staff room, and the principals’ office, will take place over the winter and spring of 2014.
· The kitchen and new cafeteria will be built in the latter part of Phase III. This work will also include the asbestos abatement in the kitchen, which will happen during the February school Break. (NOTE: Town Meeting will be at U32 this year.)
Plans for Phase IV (June 2014 – August 2014):
· The contractors will complete the site work that began in Phases II and III, as well as all other work in the existing building. The renovation of the last section of the 1965 wing, as well as the 1989 wing will happen during these last few months. This will include heating, mechanical, new windows, insulation, lighting fixtures, new built-ins and more. The existing library will become two primary classrooms, and the existing bathrooms will be renovated. This work will be completed by August 2014.
There are two life-safety requirements that we will need to comply with: a Fire Pond and a South exit egress path that were not part of our original budget. We will continue to work on the details of these requirements, ensuring the Board has all the information before final decisions are made.
We want to thank you for your continued support. This project would never have been possible without the East Montpelier Community! Thank you for caring about our school and advancing the next generation!
Alicia Lyford and Flor Diaz Smith